About the ingredients
- What size of egg whites should I use?
- What is the average weight of a large egg white?
- Can I use ‘Egg Beaters’ or ‘Simply Egg Whites’ or other pre-separated egg whites sold in cartons?
- If I can’t use egg beaters, what do I do with all the leftover egg yolks?
- What type of food coloring should I use?
- Is the use of cream of tartar necessary?
- Is the use of powdered sugar necessary? Can I use a substitute? Can I reduce the sugar quantity?
- What about powdered sugar, do all brands work? Is it ok if it contains cornstarch?
- What is almond meal? Is it the same as almond flour?
- My almond meal/flour looks wet/oily. Can I still use it?
- Can I use nuts other than almond to make macarons?
- Can I grind my own almonds/nuts?
- What if I’m allergic to nuts? Can I still make macarons?
About the equipement
- Parchment paper or Silpats?
- Can I use butter instead of parchment paper?
- Can I use wax paper / aluminum foil?
- Which pastry tip is best?
- What pastry bags do you use?
- Do I really need to use a stainless steel bowl? Will aluminum or plastic bowls do?
- But, won’t my electric beater scratch the stainless steel bowl?
- What kind of baking sheet is best? Do I need to buy an expensive one?
- Why do I need to double the baking sheets?
General macaron-making questions
- There is so much sugar in macarons! How much calories is there in a macaron? Can I make them lighter?
- What does “aging egg whites” mean?
- Is there a shortcut to aging egg whites?
- What does it mean to dry or rest macarons before baking? What should they look/feel like after drying? What happens if I skip this step?
- Can I make macarons even if it’s raining/really hot/humid outside?
- What is the size of the “perfect” macaron?
- How can I make sure my macaron shells are all the same size?
- How is the flavor incorporated into macarons?
- Making macarons seems so time-consuming! How long does it really take to make them?
- What should the beaten egg whites look like?
- I’ve overbeaten my egg whites. Help!
- My meringue stays loose, it won’t become firm. Why?
- How delicately/vigorously should I fold the almond/sugar mixture into the meringue?
- When should I add food coloring or flavorings?
- What is the right batter consistency?
- My batter is too thin/runny. What happened/what should I do?
- What is the right oven temperature? Why isn’t there a definite ‘universal’ temperature everyone can use?
- My batter becomes watery or runny during the resting period. Why?
- My macarons are spreading unevenly / are not round / are not equal in size. Why?
- Can I skip the resting period to make my macarons more quickly?
- The shells remain pointy after piping. Why?
Aesthetic problems after baking
- No feet / crown
- Uneven feet / Feet bursting
- Hollow shells
- Cracked shells
- Thin shells (thin cap with feet)
- Shells that puff, then deflate
- Warped / uneven shells
- Bumpy / lumpy shells
- Shells are too soft
- Shells seem too dry or crunchy
- Shells look greasy or “wet”
- Brown or dark shells
- Sticky on the bottom
- Uncooked insides
- Inconsistent batch (some are perfect, others are not)
- My shells are not cooked through even after 15 minutes in the oven. What should I do?
****Click the main link above for FULL details (there is a lot more info!)